A Wedding Music Concert
This intriguing idea comes from Dr. J. William Greene, Organist-Choirmaster at Sacred Heart Cathedral in Rochester, NY.
CanticaNOVA Publications is proud to have Dr. Greene's music listed in our catalog [see J. William Greene at CNP]
A Wedding Music Concert has many benefits for a parish. On the simplest level it offers an evening of optimistic and beautiful music; music centered around pageantry and festivity and LOVE.
Beyond this, there is a very practical feature in that engaged couples (and those planning or hoping to be engaged) can attend to hear, and even select, some of the music for their ceremony.
What a wonderfully efficient way for cantors, soloists, choirs and organists to "sing through" some of their finest suggestions for brides and grooms.
The program that Dr. Greene hands out at his concert even suggests taking notes and following the planning sheet in the accompanying guidelines Wedding Music in Sacred Heart Cathedral.
The concert was scheduled for a winter Sunday afternoon (February 14), both to minimize competition from outdoors events (like gardening) and to give couples plenty of time before their summer weddings to take in all the delights which the Masters of Church Music have to offer.
What follows is the list of music presented at this concert.
- Processional: "Rondeau" (Jean Joseph Mouret)
- Responsorial Psalm: "Psalm 33" (J. Robert Carroll) from Worship, 3rd Edition #819
- Gospel Acclamation: "Alleluia" (Howard Hughes SM) from Worship, 3rd Edition #283
- Vocal Solo: "The Gift of Love" (arr. Hal Hopson)
- Choral Anthem: "Song of Ruth" (Joyce Eilers)
- Recessional: "Tuba Tune in D Major" (Craig S. Lang)
- Processional: "La Rejoussance" The Rejoicing (G.F. Handel)
- Vocal Solo: "A Wedding Prayer" (David H. Williams)
- Choral Anthem: "We Wait for Thy Loving Kindness" (William McKie)
- Vocal Solo: "O God of Love" (Dale Wood)
- Communion Processional: "Ubi caritas" (Jacques Berthier, Taize Community) from Worship, 3rd Edition #604
- Vocal Solo: "O Love That Casts Out Fear" (J.S. Bach)
- Recessional: "Concerto in G Major /Allegro" (J.S. Bach)
- Processional: "Rigaudon" (Andre Campra)
- Vocal Solo: "The Unity Candle Song" (Raymond Haan)
- Choral Anthem: "If Ye Love Me" (Thomas Tallis)
- Vocal Solo: "A Wedding Prayer" (Theodore Beck)
- Choral Anthem: "Ave Maria" (Edward Elgar)
- Recessional: "Chorale Prelude on Now Thank We All Our God" (J.S. Bach)
- Processional: "Trumpet Voluntary" (Henry Purcell)
- Vocal Solo: "Old Irish Blessing" (Denes Agay)
- Vocal Solo: "Where There's Love at Home" (James Denton)
- Choral Anthem: "Benediction" The Irish Blessing (Owen Goldsmith)
- Recessional: "Carillon" (Louis Vierne)
Gather your parish musicians: soloists and organists, possibly the choir and the handbell group.
With music that may well be readily at hand, one can put together not only an engaging concert, but one that serves to educate and enlighten young couples on their common path toward a married life.
See the CNP Wedding Music Index for other wedding music possibilities!