A Workshop for Children's Choir Directors
The American Federation Pueri Cantores is a group of Catholic musicians promoting children's choirs, affiliated with the international group, Foederatio Internationalis Pueri Cantores.
The organization is sponsoring a Conductor's Seminar, Growing Voices, July 27-29, 2009, at the University of Saint Mary of the Lake (Liturgical Institute) in Mundelein, Illinois.
Designed especially for conductors of Catholic school and parish choirs covering grades 1-12, the seminar will also offer sessions in repertoire, conducting technique and organization building taught by some of the nation's top authorities on young voices.
Featured faculty includes Jean Ashworth Bartle, Founder and Conductor Laureate of the internationally renowned Toronto Children's Chorus (singers ages 6-16).
An English choral conductor and teacher, Ms. Ashworth Bartle, is a naturalized Canadian citizen since 1968.
She has studied with Sir David Willcocks and Margaret Hillis at Westminster Choir College, Princeton, NJ.
Jean Ashworth Bartle founded the Toronto Children's Chorus in 1978 in order to provide a children's choir for the Toronto Symphony Orchestra.
Since then, under her direction, the Toronto Children's Chorus has received international acclaim and won many prestigious choral prizes.
She has brought the music of Canadian composers to many audiences and expanded the choral repertoire by commissioning and promoting Canadian compositions.
Jean Ashworth Bartle was a teacher for the Toronto Board of Education 1966-1998 and in 1986 was awarded the Roy Thomson Hall Award for her outstanding contribution to musical life in Toronto.
In 1998 she was invested in the Order of Ontario, and also received the Order of Canada. In 2002 she received the Queen's Jubilee Medal in London, England, and in November 2003 she was awarded an honorary life membership in the Ontario Music Educators' Association.
In 2004, an award named in her honor, the Jean Ashworth Bartle Music Education Award, was established at the Faculty of Music at the University of Toronto.
Other presenters include:
- Patrick Flahive, nationally recognized youth choir director; President of Amercian Federation Pueir Cantores; Music Director at Sacred Heart Church and School, Covina CA
- Paul French, noted composer and conductor; Music Director and Composer, William Ferrris Chorale, Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church, Chicago IL
- Molly Lindberg, Artistic / Executive Director, Spirito Singers, Elmhurst IL
- Sr. Mary Paul McCaughey, Superintendent of Chicago Catholic Schools
- Dr. John Romeri, Music and Liturgy Director of the Cathedral Basilica of Saint Louis; Director of the Office of Sacred Music, Archdiocese of Saint Louis, Saint Louis MO
- Heidi Stirling, School Conductor / Educator, Chicago Public Schools Fine Arts Magnet Cluster K-12; Professional singer, Chiago Symphony Chorus, GIA, WLP
The workshop hopes to:
Develop skills in choral leadership
- Conducting Master Classes with Jean Ashworth Bartle, Paul French and Patrick Flahive
- Gregorian Chant: Techniques and Rehearsal with Paul French
Review important USCCB documents for parish and school conductors
- Sing to the Lord with Patrick Flahive
- To Teach As Jesus Did with Sister Mary Paul McCaughey
Expand knowledge of repertoire
- Core Repertoire for Elementary and High School Choirs with Patrick Flahive, Paul French and John Romeri
- Easy, accessible, inexpensive and excellent liturgical music for classroom and parish choirs with Heidi Stirling
Explore models of choir organization
- Recruitment: Random to Radical — Involvement, Commitment and Retention of Choristers: Male and Female K-12 with Molly Lindberg
Experience actual trainging of young singers
- Assisted by the Seminar Choir with Jean Ashworth Bratle
Network with Catholic youth choir conductors from around the nation
- General Introduction to Pueri Cantores — Membership, Festivals and Mass with Patrick Flahive
For complete seminar and registration information, click on the link brochure or write:
- American Federation Pueri Cantores
- 615 East Chapman Avenue, Suite 200
- Orange CA 92866
- Pueri Cantores