Music at Saint Paul Cathedral
The following "Order of Worship" comes from Saint Paul Cathedral in Birmingham, Alabama, when Calvert Shenk was Organist and Director of Music.
Mr. Shenk is currently serving as Director of Music and Associate Professor at Sacred Heart Seminary in Detroit, Michigan.
For more ideas on making Ordinary Time less ordinary, see the Order of Worship for the 24th Sunday in Ordinary Time (A) and
Order of Worship for the 4th Sunday in Ordinary Time (B).
The Twenty-first Sunday in Ordinary Time (A)
- Organ Prelude: Adagio in E Major - Frank Bridge (1879-1941)
- Introitus: Do Not Forsake Me - Calvert Shenk
- Antiphon- Do not forsake me, O Lord; O my God, be not far from me.
Make haste to help me, O Lord, my salvation. Psalm 38:21-22
- Psalm 38:1- O Lord, rebuke me not in thine anger, nor chasten me in thy wrath.
- Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever.
- Antiphon- Do not forsake me...
- Opening Song: Faith of Our Fathers
- text: F.W. Faber (1814-1863)
- tune: SAINT CATHERINE, L.M. with refrain; H.F. Henry (1818-1888)
- The Sign of the Cross
- The Greeting
- Penitential Rite: Sacramentary option B
- Kyrie eleison: from Missa brevis responsoria - Calvert Shenk
- Gloria in excelsis: Gloria in a minor - Calvert Shenk
- Old Testament Lesson: Malachi 1:14 - 2:2,8-10
- Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 131 - Calvert Shenk
- Responsory: "In you, Lord, I have found my peace."
- verses 1-3
- Epistle: I Thessalonians 2:9,13
- Gospel Acclamation: Alleluia - Calvert Shenk
- Acclamation- Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia.
- Verse: Your word, O Lord, is truth; make us holy in the truth. see John 17:17
- The Holy Gospel: Matthew 23:1-12
- General Intercessions
- Offertory Anthem: Teach Me, O Lord - Thomas Attwood (1765-1838)
- Teach me, O Lord, the way of thy statutes, and I shall keep it unto the end. Psalm 119:33
- Prayer over the Gifts
- Sanctus: from Missa brevis responsoria - Calvert Shenk
- Memorial Acclamation: from A Community Mass - Richard Proulx (b.1937)
- Great Amen: from A Community Mass - Richard Proulx
- Pater noster: chant formulary
- The Exchange of Peace
- Agnus Dei: from Missa brevis responsoria - Calvert Shenk
- Communio: Notas mihi (chant)
- Notas mihi fecisti vias vitæ: adimplebis me lætitia cum vultu tuo Domine. Psalm 16:11
- Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt fill me with joy with thy countenance, O Lord.
- Communion Hymn: Godhead Here in Hiding
- text: Adoro te devote Saint Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274)
- tune:ADORO TE DEVOTE, 11 11 11 11; Plainsong Mode V
- Post-Communion Prayer
- The Blessing
- The Dismissal
- Recessional Hymn: For All the Saints
- text: William Walsham How (1823-1897)
- tune: SINE NOMINE, 10 10 10 , with alleluias; Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872-1958)
- Organ Postlude: Allegro marziale e ben marcato - Frank Bridge (1879-1941)