Ideas from The Liturgy of the Hours:
The Feast of the Baptism of the Lord
+ Morning Prayer +
Latin Hymn Jesus refulsit omnium
Reading Isaiah 61:1-2a
- Psalm 63:2-9
- Antiphon The soldier baptizes the king, the servant his Lord, John his Savior; the waters of the Jordan tremble, a dove hovers as a sign of witness, and the voice of the Father is heard: This is my Son.
- Daniel 3:57-88,56
- Antiphon Springs of water were made holy as Christ revealed his glory to the world. Draw water from the fountain of the Savior, for Christ our God has hallowed all creation.
- Psalm 149
- Antiphon You burned away man's guilt by fire and the Holy Spirit. We give praise to you, our God and Redeemer.
[excerpt] Christ, Son of the living God, have mercy on us; today you revealed yourself to us.
Christ is baptized, the world is made holy;
he has taken away our sins.
We shall be purified by water and the Holy Spirit.
[response] Lord, have mercy.
+ Daytime Prayer +
- Antiphon: John tried to prevent Jesus and said: I should be baptized by you, and do you come to me?
- Reading: Isaiah 11:1-3
- Response: He must grow greater, I must grow less.
- Antiphon: Jesus answered John: For the moment, this is what must be; we do well to fulfill all that God commands.
- Reading: Isaiah 42:1
- Response: This is my servant whom I love; my chosen one in whom I delight.
- Antiphon: This was John's witness: I saw the Spirit coming down from heaven like a dove and resting upon him.
- Reading: Isaiah 49:6
- Response: Upon him my spirit will rest; and he will show all nations the holiness of God.
+ Evening Prayer II +
Latin Hymn Implente munus debitum
Reading Acts of the Apostles 10:37-38
- Psalm 110:1-5,7
- Antiphon The Father's voice resounded from the heavens: This is my Son in whom I delight, listen to what he says to you.
- Psalm 112
- Antiphon In the Jordan river our Savior crushed the serpent's head and wrested us free from his grasp.
- Revelation 15:3-4
- Antiphon A wondrous mystery is declared to us today: the Creator of the universe has washed away our sins in the waters of the Jordan.
[excerpt] Christ comes to us.
Jesus Christ our Lord comes in water and in blood.
Christ Jesus loved us, poured out his blood to wash away our sins,
and made us a kingdom and priests for God our Father.
To him be glory and honor for ever.
[response] Lord, send forth your Spirit upon us.
The English translation of the Antiphons, Responsories, and Intercession Responses are from: The Divine Office: The Liturgy of the Hours, © Copyright 1970, 1973, 1975 International Committee on English in the Liturgy, Inc. All rights reserved.
Excerpts from the Readings are taken from the New American Standard Bible ® © Copyright 1973 The Lockman Foundation. Used by permission.