Required Resources: SATB choir, organ
Here's a delightful and easy Christmas anthem for SATB choir and organ.
The relative ease of the parts allows the choir to concentrate their efforts on the Latin text, providing an effective way to introduce Latin into Midnight Mass, even for the choir that hasn't previously done so.
The simple refrain:
Christus est natus ex Maria virgine, gaudete!
Christ is born of the Virgin Mary - rejoice!
is interspersed with these verses:
- Tempus adest gratiae Hoc quod optabamus,
Carmina laetitiae Devote reddamus.
- Deus homo factus est Natura mirante,
Mundus renovatus est A Christo regnante.
- Ezechielis porta Clausa pertransitur,
Unda lux est orta Salus invenitur.
- Ergo nostra sontio, Psallat jam in lustro;
Benedicat Domino: Salus Regi nostro.
- The time of grace has come — This that we have desired;
Verses of joy let us devoutly return.
- God has become man, Nature marveling;
The world has been renewed by the reigning Christ.
- The closed gate of Ezekiel is passed through;
Whence the light is born, Salvation is found.
- Therefore let our gathering Now sing in brightness;
Let it bless the Lord: Greeting to our King.
The lively 6/8 tempo and exuberant melody combine with this joy-filled text making a piece that is sure to become a Christmas favorite for both choir and congregation!
Order #: 5059
- Choral Music
- SATB Choir