Format: Audio CD
Produced by: Corpus Christi Church, New York City
To mark Corpus Christi's centennial year, the Friends of Liturgical Music have issued a CD featuring the Choir of Corpus Christi Church directed by Louise Basbas.
This CD, Exsulta! Music for the Feasts of the Church Year, features chant and works by Anerio, Byrd, Guerrero, Hassler, Josquin, Lassus, Lotti, Palestrina, Sweelinck, and Victoria.
From the liner notes:
The Choir of Corpus Christ Church is the resident performing ensemble of the Music before 1800 Concert Series.
Directed by Louise Basbas, the group specializes in vocal music of the Renaissance and early Baroque eras.
For five years it focused on large-scale pieces by Stradella, offering present-day revivals of four oratorios and a serenata.
Since then, it has performed oratorios by Alessandro Scarlatti, as well as vocal works by many composers, including Victoria, Purcell, Schütz, and Bach.
The Choir participates in Sunday and holyday services at Corpus Christi throughout the year.
- December 8: The Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary
Motet: Ave Maria, Josquin Desprez (ca. 1440-1521) [5:42]
- December 24: The Nativity of the Lord, Midnight Mass
Motet: Angelus ad pastores, Hans Leo Hassler (1562-1612) [2:30]
- December 25: The Nativity of the Lord, Mass during the Day
Motet: O magnum mysterium, Tomás Luis de Victoria (1548-1611) [3:10]
- January 1: The Octave Day of Christmas: The Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God
Chant: Exsulta filia [0:58]
- January 6: The Epiphany of the Lord
Motet: Ab oriente, Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck (1562-1621) [4:00]
- Ash Wednesday
Motet: Emendemus, William Byrd (1543-1623) [3:04]
- Palm Sunday of the Lord's Passion
Motet: Crucifixus, Antonio Lotti (ca. 1667-1740) [2:22]
- Holy Thursday, Mass of the Lord's Supper
Motet: Ave verum, Orlando di Lasso (1532-1594) [2:54]
- Good Friday of the Lord's Passion
Motet: Christus factus est, Felice Anerio (ca. 1560-1614) [2:24]
- Easter Sunday, Resurrection of the Lord
Motets (Proper): Hæc dies; Terra tremuit, William Byrd [2:44]
- The Ascension of the Lord
Chant: Viri Galilæi [1:28]
- Pentecost Sunday
Motet: Dum complerentur, Tomás Luis de Victoria [5:12]
- The Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ [Corpus Christi]
Motet: O sacrum convivium, Francisco Guerrero (1528-1599) [3:24]
- August 15: The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Motet: Assumpta est Maria, Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina (1525/6-1594) [2:17]
- November 1: All Saints
Motet: Timete Dominum, William Byrd [3:42]
The total playing time of the disk is 45:59.
The Choir of Corpus Christi Church consists of:
- Marion Beckenstein, Margery Daley – sopranos
- Phyllis Farmer, Scott Fraser – altos
- Brian Dougherty, David Ronis – tenors
- Thomas Baker, Frank Barr, Phillip Gleason, Robert Kuehn – basses
Louise Basbas is the Director of Music and Organist, and the organ used is the Positif Organ by Taylor & Boody (1987), Staunton, Virginia.
Exsulta! was recorded at Corpus Christi Church in June and July of 2006
and was made possible by very generous gifts from the Centennial Fund of
Corpus Christi Church, the Tides Foundation, and an anonymous donor.
Order #: 9024