Format: Audio CD
Produced by: The Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
The Choir of the Basilica is comprised of about twenty professional singers from the greater Washington metro area and sings for the Solemn Eucharist on Sundays and Solemnities.
The choir sings at about 100 liturgies and performances each season, and prepares about 300 works each season.
Solemn liturgies at the Shrine are broadcast on EWTN throughout the world.
The director is Dr. Peter Latona; harpist, Elizabeth Blakslee.
The humble beginnings of our Lord's birth are recalled each year at the Solemn Mass of Christmas when the liturgical procession makes its way through the candle-lit Great Upper Church of the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immcaulate Conception.
Stopping at the crèche, the celebrant kneels in prayer and offers incense while the singing of the Choir resonates through the vastness of the Basilica.
This tradition, familiar to those who worship here on the Solemnity of the Nativity of Our Lord, is captured in this recording from the National Shrine.
Carols at the Crèche features the Choir of the Basilica under the direction of Dr. Peter Latona, Music Director.
Also featured on the recording is harpist, Elizabeth Blakeslee.
These compositions for choir and harp tell the Christmas story and echo the praises of our Savior's birth.
May the beautiful music presented here fill your hearts and minds with the peace and joy of the Christmas season.
The Reverend Monsignor Michael J. Bransfield
- Behold the Wond'r of Winter's Night — Michael Praetorius (1571-1621) [sung in procession]
- What Sweeter Music — Michael Fink (b.1939)
- Love Came Down — Edwin Fissinger (1920-1990)
- Rejoice, O Virgin — Sergei Rachmaninoff (1873-1943)
- Ave Maria — Henri Mulet (1878-1967)
- A Christmas Medley, Volume 2 — Ray Pool (b. 1946)
- Song of Mary — Harold Friedell (1905-1958)
- Away in a Manger — arr. Peter Latona (b. 1968)
- Berceuse — James T. Bingham (b. 1945)
- Lullay, litel child — Karl Korte (b. 1928)
- Behold a Mystical Rose — Peter Latona
- Bethlehem Down — Peter Warlock (1894-1930)
- I Wonder As I Wander — arr. Andrew Carter (b. 1939)
- Five Carols — Richard Rodney Bennett (b. 1936)
- There Is No Rose
- Out of Your Sleep
- That Younge Child
- Sweet Was the Song
The Choir of the Basilica:
- Kathryn Aaron, Virginia Brubaker, Katherine Dunn, Jane Elkin, Katherine McKeon, Cheryl McNutt, Jessica Lardin – sopranos
- Callista Gingrich, Kyoung-Hee Jung, Katherine Motsuk, Eleanor Nemeth, Ariana Pullano, Sarah M. Timmers, Maureen Vincent-Morgan – altos
- Elliott Archer, Richard Bennett, Aurelio Dominguez-Belandria, Charles T. Downey, Gerald Kavinski, Pablo Murcia, Brian Weeks – tenors
- Jason McFarland, Peter Merideth, Mark Owens, Michael Peterson, Louis Reichwein, John Ross – basses
Dr. Peter Latona, Director of Music
Order #: 9027