Use: Christmas, Marian
Required Resources: SATB choir
Language: English, Latin
This is a delightful journey into Renaissance style, both text and music.
A refrain on the title is set for SATB choir in two-parts and unison.
The six verses are scored alternately for two-part women's and two-part men's voices; these could even be sung by soloists, making this an instant choral motet.
The 15th century text relates the Annunciation story in pleasantly vintage prose:
- Gabriel of high degree, He came down from the Trinity, From Nazareth to Galilee.
- He met a Maiden in a place; He kneeléd down before her face; He said: "Hail, Mary, full of grace!"
- When the Maiden saw all this She was sore abashed y-wis, Lest that she had done amiss.
- Then said the angel: "Dread not you, Ye shall conceive in all virture, A child whose name shall be Jesu."
- Then said the angel anon: "It is not fully six months gone Since Saint Elizabeth conceived Saint John."
- Then said the Maiden anon quickly: "I am Gödes own truly; Ecce Ancilla Domini."
This is a truly practical and graceful Marian motet!
Order #: 5041
- Choral Music
- SATB Choir
- English / Latin
- a cappella