Required Resources: SATB choir, congregation
Stephen McManus, from County Down, Northern Ireland, has arranged the psalms of the Easter Vigil for his American friends (i.e. using the prescribed New American Bible translations).
These psalms are scored for a cappella SATB choir (respecting the lack of organ until the Gloria of the Vigil), but all have a congregational refrain.
All refrains are also printed in melody line format for reproduction on liturgy sheets.
Variety is achieved through the use of differing textures in the verses, from solo sections through full SATB choir.
One psalm is included in this collection for use after each of the seven Old Testament readings:
- Psalm 33: The earth is full of the goodness of the Lord.
- Psalm 16: You are my inheritance, O Lord.
- Exodus 15: Let us sing to the Lord; he has covered himself in glory.
- Psalm 30: I will praise you, Lord, for you have rescued me.
- Isaiah 12: You will draw water joyfully from the springs of salvation.
- Psalm 19: Lord, you have the words of everlasting life.
- Psalm 51: Create a clean heart in me, O Lord.
A refreshing change from the solo cantor, these psalms allow the choir to take a privileged liturgical role in the Liturgy of the Word at the Great Easter Vigil.
Order #: 1600
Price: 1-2 copies - $4.25/
3 or more copies - $3.50 each
- Liturgical Settings
- SATB Choir
- a cappella